Toe-tap to the right tune in Lethbridge, Alberta
With so many festivals and shows, Lethbridge is the perfect place to get your live music fix—year-round
Whether it’s country, rock, jazz, folk or electronic that moves you, Lethbridge, Alberta, has a flourishing live music scene that spans multiple genres. Across town, you’ll find several venues that offer live music on a regular basis. The fourth largest city in Alberta also plays host to a number of popular outdoor festivals.
Organized by the Lethbridge Jazz Society, this multi-day festival in June features live performances held at different venues throughout the city. Each show is a spotlight for local talent and legendary artists, such as Colin James.
Kicking off its first year in July 2017, the Wide Skies Music & Arts Festival is a two-day event that features a variety of artists across different genres. The first day includes a free outdoor festival in downtown Lethbridge, followed by a ticketed indoor concert at Southminster United Church.
See Galt Gardens in downtown Lethbridge come alive as local and regional DJs spin their magic. The annual Lethbridge Electronic Music Festival is a free event in August that is open to all ages.
The University of Lethbridge is setting the stage for what should be Southern Alberta’s largest outdoor music festival. Set for September 1 to 3, 2017, the Shine on Summer Festival will wrap up the region’s summertime with an impressive artist lineup, including Dallas Smith, Corb Lund and Washboard Union.
Can’t make it to these festivals? Don’t worry—there are plenty of other great ways to get your musical fix in Lethbridge:
- Throughout the year, New West Theatre organizes a variety of musical productions—which are held at either the Yates Theatre or the Sterndale Bennett Theatre.
- From stand-up comedians to singer-songwriters, the trendy Owl Acoustic Lounge offers great food and live music. Plus, every Monday at 9 p.m. there is an open mic night.
- Every Monday is an open mic night at The Onion Bar & Grill as well.
- If you love pizza and live music, then the Slice Bar & Grill is the place to be. Every Thursday at 9 p.m. is a jam night so be sure to bring your guitar if you want to play onstage.
- Live bands, salsa dancing, karaoke and duelling pianos can all be enjoyed at Joe’s Garage, located in the back of Average Joe’s Sports Bar.
- The ENMAX Centre is the place to go for major sporting events and, of course, stadium concerts. Foreigner with special guests Honeymoon Suite will be making a stop here on October 15, 2017.
- Also an art gallery and yoga studio, The Geomatic Attic’s 100-seat theatre provides an intimate venue for live music. Larger shows are held at Southminster United Church and other venues in Lethbridge.