Make safe driving part of long weekend plans
As the Canada Day long weekend approaches, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure encourages travellers to stay safe on the road by planning ahead and using extra caution.
General tips for a safe trip include:
- allowing additional time to get to your destination due to more people on the roads;
- packing food and bottled water for passengers, as well as pets, and planning breaks at rest areas: https://www.th.gov.bc.ca/restareas/
- leaving the phone alone and wearing seatbelts;
- obeying all posted speed limits and slowing down in bad weather;
- driving with extra caution, watching for motorcyclists, and sharing the road with cyclists and other users; and
- making sure your vehicle is up for the drive by checking engine oil, washer fluid, lights and tires, including the spare.
For the most up-to-date highway travel information, check @DriveBC on Twitter and: DriveBC.ca